Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sarcasm Takes Practice

Emma went camping with her friend over the weekend. She was gone for three days, and we missed her terribly. She called every night before going to sleep. This was our conversation on Friday night.

Phone rings.

Me: "Hello?"

Em: "Let me tell you about my 'adventurous' day."

Pause.

Me: "Well, hello to you too. Yes, please, tell me everything. What did you do?"

Em: "Mom. That was sarcasm. Didn't you hear it?"

Me: "Oh. Um...not really. I mean, it's hard to know if you are being sarcastic unless I know what you are being sarcastic about. I need a little more context, you know what I mean?"

Em: "Oh. Okay."

Click.

Pause.

Phone rings.

Me:  "Hello? Em? Did you just hang up on me?"

Em: "Let me tell you about my 'adventurous' day. First, Charlie [the dog] threw up all over me. In the car. On the highway. My shirt was ruined and I had to sit in it the rest of the car ride! Then, I had to go to the bathroom REALLY REALLY bad and we couldn't stop, so I had to pee in a cup. A cup! Can you believe that? Boy, do I love camping!"

Pause.

Me: "Oh honey. I'm sorry you've had such a rough day, but I must say...I think that's the best sarcasm you've ever done. You really nailed it. Great job."

Em: "Thanks, Mommy! I worked really hard on it."

1 comment:

Annie Crow said...

Oh, that was funny... and scary...

D. has been practicing telling knock-knock jokes and it makes me think of your blog entries about Sophie's attempts.