Thursday, November 13, 2008

To sleep, perchance to dream

I cannot sleep. I spend all day yawning, and then night falls and I cannot sleep. It is 11:51pm and I've already went to bed once for the night and arisen again in frustration because I cannot sleep. I am answering emails, posting on Facebook and writing this blog as diversions while I cannot sleep. My husband literally begins snoring beside me within minutes of climbing into bed, often before I've even turned off the light. But not me. I try deep breathing, I try dreaming of slumber, I try bucketfuls of Tylenol PM, I try a soothing eye mask, I try different body positions, I try counting in my head, I try praying, I try reading, I try exercise, I try many many many many other things but the reality is that no matter what I do, I Cannot Sleep.

Tomorrow will be here soon enough, and once again I will be exhausted. My husband is frustrated with me b/c I won't ask the doctor for sleeping pills. I take far too much medicine in my life as it is - I am extremely reluctant to begin taking another. Why are drugs always the answer? There must be another way.

I guess I have all night to think about it.

2 comments:

anonymous said...

I went into iTunes when I was having trouble falling asleep and downloaded a free podcast of a deep relaxation meditation. The one I got is Wynyfred's Meditation Room or something like that. The lady talks you through relaxing each part of your body, starting with your feet and working up, and whenever I listen to it, I always pass out somewhere around the time she's telling me to relax my torso, so I guess it works. Played it for Drew one time when he couldn't sleep, and it worked for him, too. No drugs required. Worth a try...

chrismath said...

I have never brought up sleeping pills!