Monday, August 24, 2009

Sample Conversation Today

Em: "When can I swing on a vine and then jump and slide down the bark of a tree? When I'm six years old?"
Me: "Um, well...I'm not sure. I don't think there's necessarily an age requirement on something like that. Actually, I'm thinking the answer to that may be 'Never.'"
Em: "NEVER?! Why? I'll be really careful and you can spot on me."
Me: "Spot you?"
Em: "Yeah, like on the monkey bars."
Me: "Well, that's a great idea, but the thing is... it's kinda hard to find vines in Chicago."
Em: "Oh. Where do vines live, Mama?"
Me: "In the jungle. And jungles are really far away."
Em: "Hmm. So I guess we have to go on an airplane then."
Me: "To find a vine?"
Em: "Yes, to find a vine."
Me: "You want to go on an airplane to find a vine?"
Em: "Yes."
Me: "I don't think that's going to happen."
Em: "Wait, I've got a great idea! When we go on an airplane to Florida, we can visit a jungle and jump on a vine!"
Me: "I don't think there are any jungles in Florida."
[pause]
Em: "Okay. I'm gonna think about this and get back to you tomorrow."
Me: "Okay, sounds good."
Em: "You think about it too, Mommy. It's very important to me."
Me: "I'll do my best, Em."
Em: "That's all I can ask, Mama. That's all I can ask."

No comments: