Friday, June 18, 2010

A Kindergartner No More

Emma is now officially a first grader.

It's been a fun last week of school. Every day, Emma's come home with a different thick workbook to keep her busy over the summer...math, science, reading, writing, etc. Her final day was Wednesday, so Thursday she spent the afternoon at a school friend's end-of-year party. Did I mention this particular friend has a giant water slide in her back yard? Yeah, play dates there are VERY popular. :) And this morning was the kindergarten graduation.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the whole graduation ceremony (I mean seriously? I graduation for kindergartners?), but ultimately I was very impressed. The kids performed a medley of songs before going up to get his/her diploma. Emma looked so grown up as she stepped forward and shook the principal's hand. In fact, all the kids were so mature and well-behaved, which is quite a feat considering there are over 200 kids in kindergarten at Disney. I can't believe the teachers manage to get them all to where they are supposed to be, let alone quietly and respectfully. The best part of the ceremony was when the kids recited a funny poem about what each letter stands for in the word Kindergarten. Not only was the poem just about the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life...it was also an eye opener. As I sat there listening to these little people list all the milestones they have reached this year, I finally got WHY the school bothers to do a kindergarten graduation. The teachers want these kids jazzed about school, and I could see by the pride and joy on each student's face that the plan is working well. I'm so thankful Em's first year has been such a positive experience, and all I can do is cross my fingers and pray her enthusiasm for school continues to grow.

Here are some photos from the ceremony and various items from her graduation packet. I was so pleased to see how much effort was put into making each student feel special. We'll have video of the performance in a few weeks. And now...one week off before six weeks of summer camp. It's gonna be a hectic and fun summer for our newly minted first grader!

I don't know why, but every time the school takes an official photo of Emma, it looks like a mugshot to me...

Her diploma! With her last name misspelled!
(If I had a dime for every time I've uttered the phrase "Mathews, with one t" in the last 10 years...)


Poem from her teacher. (And yes, her packet had all the bullet items in it...Mrs. P. even gave her a big hug and then "put" it in the bag for Em.)

Emma's special bookmark

The graduate!

Olivia P. (of water slide fame), Em and Zora

Emma and Olivia M.

Emma sobbed herself to sleep this afternoon, wailing "I miss Mrs. Parker!" over and over despite having just seen her two hours ago. Yikes. It's gonna be a long summer if that continues.

No comments: