Thursday, July 14, 2011

Halloween in July = Power Monger Syndrome

Yesterday was Halloween in July at Emma's summer camp. She dressed as a princess fairy ("NOT a fairy princess. That's boring!"), complete with all necessary accoutrements. As camp activities are mostly outside and often involve physical activity, I thought she might want to rethink the tiara. Em replied, "But if I don't wear the tiara, how will people know they are supposed to bow to me?"

Later that day, I arrived for pick up and found Emma in nothing but a bathing suit, tiara and fairy wings. She looked like a pint-size beauty contestant vying for Miss Tinkerbell. I suggested that her current ensemble was probably not the most appropriate outfit to be wearing around the park. Her body shook with excitement as she exclaimed, "But I'm a princess! I can do whatever I want!" Before I could counter, some boy waved goodbye to Emma. "Who is that?" I asked. "Oh, he's my minion," Em answered casually.

No comments: