Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Exercise, mental health, and butt scratching

I wrote a post today for Erasing the Distance's blog. Wait...you've never read Erasing the Distance's blog, you say? Well, what are you waiting for? Check out my post, and then take a look around. Explore. Read up on ETD. We are a pretty cool organization, if I do say so myself.

And for those of you that only read this blog to hear funny anecdotes about my kids and really wish I'd stop talking about ME, here's a little tie-in nugget for ya...

Sophie: "My friend Margot cries when we eat peaches at school, and I don't know WHY! That's just crazy."
Me: "Well, it's not "crazy" - it just means she probably doesn't like peaches."
Soph: "But peaches are YUMMY!"
Me: "Well, I think so too...but not everybody likes peaches. Different people like different things."
Soph: "You mean like how I like to scratch-a my butt but other people don't like to watch me do dat?"
Me: "Um...well...yes, that's exactly what I mean."

1 comment:

AJ said...

I really liked your ETD post. And I know *exactly* what mean. I try to remind myself to spending all of my time on self-flagellation after falling off the exercise wagon is just another roadblock to getting back to the running. It's like quitting smoking and then slipping up and having a cigarette: my instinct in these types of situations is always to say to myself, "Well, now look what you've done, you horrible failure, you. Why don't you just sit there and do it some more, because clearly you suck?" I am trying instead to be a bit more "Whoops-a-daisy! That wasn't what was supposed to happen. No biggie. Just get back in gear, darlin', and keep going" these days. Needless to say, that's easier said than done. :)