Thursday, September 22, 2011

When you crawl around inside my brain, it tickles!

My friend Gen turned me onto this blog entry by playwright Catherine Trieschmann. Not only is the post exceptionally written, but I actually gasped out loud the first time I read it. While I recognize that juggling life and motherhood is a (sadly) common struggle, the author's specific insight into the challenges of raising a family while working in theater was particularly resonant for me. It was as if this woman had climbed into my brain, ripped out all the festering frustration and helplessness over how to balance being a mother and an artist, and rearranged the jumbled mess into a perfectly crafted missive.
What an odd experience to realize that, in many ways, a complete stranger knows me more intimately than some of my closest family and friends.
Thank you, Ms. Trieschmann, for allowing me to express myself through your beautiful words.

1 comment:

Annie Crow said...

Oh, very true. My two favorite bits:

1. "if I wash the dishes, he has to watch the kids"
2. the commenter who wrote that b/c of the lack of daydreaming time, you have to get much more focused and productive - I've found this to be true in all areas of my life, and I'm grateful for it