Wednesday, June 6, 2012

How Many Movies Am I Holding Up?

Sophie and I went to Target today so she could pick out a birthday gift for Emma. We found ourselves in the DVD section, where Sophie promptly pointed to a movie on the shelf.

Soph: "We could get her this Despicable Me. She hasn't seen this one."

Me: "Yes, she has. You both have. That's the one you have at home already."

Soph (pointing to an identical copy): "What about this one? Let's get THIS Despicable Me!"

Me: "That's the same movie."

Sophie frowned, but kept silent. Then she spotted yet another copy of the movie.

Soph: "Okay, let's buy this one! This one we haven't seen!"

Me: "Honey, yes you have. They are all the same movie. There is only one Despicable Me."

Sophie: "No, there isn't. There is three of them. See?"

Me: "Well...yes, there are three copies of the movie here, but they are all the same. See? Look at them side-by-side. The pictures on the front are all the same. It's the same movie."

Sophie: "But it's NOT the same movie. They are three DIFFERENT movies. I staring at them!"

Me: "I know it's confusing, but inside the box, it's the same movie. It's just Despicable Me in all three of them."

Soph: "I KNOW that. But they are different despicables, and I want to get the one that Emma hasn't seen."

Me: "Sophie. No. They are not different. That's what I'm trying to tell you. They are all the same movie."

Soph: "Mommy...ugh! Just...LISTEN to me. I KNOW they are all Despicable Me. I want the Despicable Me squeakuel. Like the chipmunks. WHICH ONE IS THE SQUEAKUEL?"

Me: "Honey, there is no squeakuel...er, sequel, for Despicable Me. It's not the same as the chipmunks. There is only one movie."

Sophie: "NO THERE ISN'T, THERE IS THREE! ONE, TWO, THREE!"

Me: "Sophie, stop screaming and listen to me. I know there are three boxes, but..."

Soph: "I AM COUNTING THEM. ONE! TWO! THREE!!!"

Me: "SOPHIE! Yes, there are three movies in my hand, but they are ALL THE SAME MOVIE!"

Suddenly, a heavenly angel Target employee who had overheard our entire exchange grabbed all three movies right out of my hand and said, "Whoops! These aren't supposed to be out here. They're broken! We can't sell any of these today. Sorry!"

Sophie and I both looked at him for a few seconds with our mouths hanging open. Then my previously apoplectic four-year-old merely shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh. Okay."

Before I even had a chance to thank him, he turned abruptly and skedaddled down the aisle and through an "Employees Only" door with all three bothersome copies of Despicable Me stuck snugly under his arm. After he was completely out of sight, I turned to Sophie.

Me: "Well? What do you want to get Emma?"

Sophie: "Um...let's get the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie...the SQUEAKUEL one."

Me: "Done."

Sophie: "Do you think that movie will be broken too?"

Me: "No, baby. I think that movie will be perfect."

1 comment:

Annie Crow said...

What an awesome intervention.