Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Demons, Saints and Dead Crows

It's amazing to me, the subjects that can come up from listening to the radio...particularly now that the girls are actually paying attention to the lyrics of a song. Imagine Dragons' Demons came on, and Sophie was off to the races. (Note: my sentences often cut off because Sophie is a chronic interrupter who doesn't care for long answers. Oh, the irony that her forever burden is to be saddled with a rambling, inarticulate mother.)

Sophie: "What is a demon?"
Me: "Well, I guess a demon is something that haunts you, that causes you regret or"
S: "What is a saint?"
M: "Um...well, the word is often used to describe someone who"
S: "Why does he say there is a beast inside? Inside where? Inside his house?"
M: "I think he means inside himself, like"
S: "Inside his BODY? WHY? How did that happen? Like in the movie where the mom and girl switch bodies? Did he switch bodies with a demon?"
M: "Well, I"
S: "And why is he hot? Is it summertime? Oooh...is he the sun?"
M: "Well, that's a good thought, but I think he might be referring to"
S: "What does 'kingdom come' mean?"
M: "Oh, my. Well. It's a religious term, I guess, referring to what happens when someone dies, like if they see the kingdom"
S: "Crows are so beautiful when they die."
M: "Um...what?"
S:  "When a crow dies, then all the other crows make a circle around the dead crow and feel very sad about him being dead."
M: "Really? That is beaut"
S: "And then they fly away and the dead crow is eaten and that's the circle of life and it is very natural and no one can do anything about it. You can't fight it, Mom. You can't fight the circle of life."
M: [speechless]
S: "I think a demon is a bad monster, and he is telling someone to not get burned by the demon, which is him, or they will have to see the king in the kingdom and ask for medicine."
M: "Uh, I think you are probably right."
S: "Not probably. I AM right. Because you just have to listen to the words, Mommy. The words tell you the story, that's what my teacher says. I'm not making this up."
M: "Well, thank you for letting me know"
S: "Mom, stop talking! I can't hear the music!!"

No comments: