Friday, June 27, 2008

Mommies

Em's baby doll Lis (like Liz, but with an S) needs some milk, so Em is going to nurse the baby from her "breast-isses." She pulls up her shirt, looks hard and asks, "Where are they, Mommy? Where are my breast-isses?" I point them out, and Lis does her thing. After Lis eats, Emma tucks her into bed and says, "Good night sweet girl, see you in the morning!" She asks how many kisses Lis wants, and then gives her 10 plus 1 for good luck. She turns on ocean wonders & sound machine, turns out the light, and shuts the door. Then she tells me, while running her hand across her forehead, "Whew! She's finally asleep. That girl sure is stubborn." About two minutes later, Em gets the baby up because she is crying. She holds Lis tight, rocking her and crooning "shhh, it's okay, shhh, it's okay" over and over again. I ask Em if she wants any help, but she assures me, "I've got it under my control." She lies Lis down on the living room floor, stretches out beside her, and sings her the Emma Bloom song until the baby falls asleep. I tell Emma she's a very good Mommy, and Emma replies, "You too, Ma-ma. You too." "Where did you learn to be such a good Mommy?" I ask. "Grandma," Em promptly answers, and then she runs off to draw a lizard umbrella as I think to myself, "Me too, Emma. Me too."

1 comment:

chrismath said...

Parts of this post scared the holy crap out of me.