Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Translation, please?

Emma woke up this morning all upset because she "tasted like salt." I asked her what she meant by that, but she just kept repeating that she tasted like salt. She went on and on about the salt for at least 5 minutes, whining and crying, until finally she froze in place and shouted in triumph, "OH MAMA, I know why I taste salt in my throat! It's because the frog is getting ready to jump out!" Asking her to clarify the connection between salt and her sore throat, she told me that frogs must use salt to help them jump.

"Or maybe I dreamd-ed of french fries last night and the frog got hungry and ate them all until he went BOOM!" Em added. "Last night I licked Bolt after he saved me from the fire and then I dreamd-ed that he brung me a cake. Oh, and Baby Doll got mad because I made her take a nap, and she cried and cried and cried and I had to rock her and then she took a drink of water and then she went to sleep and said 'Ma-ma, Ma-ma' and woke up and wanted milk but I said, 'No naughty girl, you go back to sleep!' and then she did and she didn't have an accident all night."

With a shrug of her shoulders, she concluded, "Yep, I think that's what happened."

"Um, o-kay..." I said. "But what does all that have to do with tasting salt?"

"Tasting salt? Oh Mama, you're a silly girl," she replied with a giggle before walking away.

1 comment:

anonymous said...

Certainly gives new meaning to "I've got a frog in my throat," doesn't it?