Friday, January 7, 2011

Florida, I am telling you...you're gonna love me

As previously mentioned, we spent a week in Sarasota, Florida over Christmas. It was my step-grandmother-in-law's (you follow that?) 90th birthday party, and the entire Wilson clan flew in for the event. It was great to reconnect with family we don't often get to see. We shared living quarters with Chris's stepbrother Paul, his wife Carrie, and their three awesome kids. By the time we left, I think Emma and Sophie were seriously considering asking Paul and Carrie to adopt them. It was a total lovefest. Between all the aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents vying for their attention, the girls were in serious happyland. Believe it or not, this birthday was the first I'd ever spent away from my family, and my in-laws surprised me with a cake at Christmas dinner. Even taking into consideration the ridiculous hat they forced onto my head requested I wear (see pic below), it was a super sweet gesture that I really appreciated. All told, we had a great visit. In fact, the only disappointing thing about the trip was the weather.

During our last trip to the Sunshine State, I began to suspect that Florida had something against us. After our most recent visit, I can confirm that Florida most certainly does dislike my family. The minute we arrived, Florida gave us the cold shoulder. Admittedly, the weather was still much more pleasant than what was going on back home in Chicago. I will even concede that Florida granted a brief weather reprieve on my birthday, and for a couple of hours I basked in the sun and studiously ignored the goosebumps flooding my flesh every time the wind changed direction. (Thank you, Florida.) However, the rest of the trip was jacket weather. The only day the temps edged past 70 was the day we were leaving, of course. Still, Florida was slightly warmer to us than she was back in February. I sense marginal progress. And I do love a challenge. So...Florida? Hear me now. I refuse to be deterred by your hostile overtures. We will continue to visit, and eventually, we will win you over. I promise you, one day you will weep sunbeams of joy the minute my family crosses the state line. Just you wait. And until then...game on.

And now...a few words from our sponsor pics from our trip.
 
 Christmas morning

 Happy birthday to me...and Jesus!

 The girls with G. & G. Kitty

 We clean up well, no?

 Dinner at the Ritz with the whole family. Fun fun fun.

Outside! In their swimsuits! IN THE WATER! Gotcha, Florida...take THAT!

Chillin' on the beach with my homegirl, Sophie P.

No comments: