Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mirror Mirror On The Wall

My children are officially way too smart - and sassy - for me. Here's a sample of our breakfast conversation this morning:

Emma: "Remember at my old school, how you kept trying to get me to not be friends with O?"

Me: "That's not true!"

Emma: "Yeah, it is true. You told me that if she was mean to me, I shouldn't be friends with her."

Me: "Well, yes...but I didn't necessarily want you to stop being friends altogether. Still, I don't understand why you would want to be friends with somebody who makes you feel badly on purpose. That, to me, is not a true friend."

Sophie: "Sometimes I'm mean to Mia Gibbons at school. But then she tells the teacher, and I say 'I'm sorry' and then it's okay. She is still my friend."

Me: "Well...just because you apologize doesn't mean it's okay. Saying 'I'm sorry' is nice, but you also shouldn't be mean to someone in the first place."

Sophie: "But how else will she know that she made me mad?"

Me: "You could just say, 'I don't like it when you do that Mia. Could you please stop?'"

Sophie: "But that doesn't get my anger out. How else am I supposed to get my anger out if I don't yell and scream?"

Me [to Emma]: "Hmmm...wonder where she got that idea from?"

Emma: "Oh yeah. Like you never yell at people. Look in the mirror, missy! I'm not taking the blame for this one."

No comments: