Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Support the Cause

My friend Erica is having a lumpectomy tomorrow. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago. She is 29 years old.

This disease seems to be affecting so many people I love. Two of my closest girlfriends - Bonnie and Meg - both have wonderful, strong, vibrant mothers who also happen to be breast cancer survivors. Laura, another of my closest girlfriends, is currently watching her mother-in-law fight the disease. My college roommate Ragan passed away from breast cancer last year...at age 31.

I have always been aware of breast cancer, but now more than ever I see that it can strike any woman at any age. So be proactive about self-exams, and encourage the women in your lives to do so too! And for those that would like to help fight for a cure but just aren't sure where to start, here's an idea for you: support Erica as she participates in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this June by donating to her fundraising campaign.

Erica, I am thinking of you tomorrow. And thanks for sharing your story, because now I'm also thinking more of my daughters, my mother, my sisters, my friends, and myself.

No comments: