Monday, March 24, 2008

Ahhh, Vacation

Last week we spent four days in a cabin in the middle of the woods with no phone or Internet access. It rained every day, and we spent most of our time cooped up inside with four kids and a family of field mice. Sound like a sucky vacation? Actually, it was heaven.

On the surface it might not sound like everyone's ideal, but the lack of communication with the outside world turned out to be such a blessing. I honestly cannot remember the last time I've gone even a day without checking email. I'll admit that initially I panicked - particularly when my cell phone was stripped from me as well - but I quickly adjusted and reveled in the divine silence. And yes, the cabin was in the middle of nowhere, and I am typically not a nature girl, but we certainly weren't roughing it. It was spacious and beautiful, with every amenity, and the place quickly felt like a home away from home. I didn't even mind The Dude (as we named him) and his little mice friends coming to visit us in the kitchen every night. (He was really kinda cute.) And while the weather was a bummer, it ultimately didn't matter much b/c we had no desire to leave the inside of our vacation haven. We were with our fabulous friends Chris and Claire, and their equally fabulous daughters Charlotte and Maggie, and we so rarely get to see each other that four days together to just hang out and BE was, in a word, perfection.

There were tears and hugs and lots of promises to "do it again soon" as we said our goodbyes - they on their way home to New York, us on the road back to the Windy City - and while many say such things without really meaning it, I believe we all did. And do. And that brings me such joy. I envision our girls growing up the best of friends, looking forward to seeing each other every year. That's something I never had as a child - a special, long-distance friend. How fun is that? Then again, for Chris and me it isn't always fun - frankly, being so far away from Chris and Claire kinda sucks. But now WE have something to look forward to as well...seeing their smiling faces on a regular basis and establishing a tradition for both our families that will (hopefully) last well into the future. I'm as sick of Midwestern weather as the next person (please please please, can we have at least ONE WEEK of Spring this year?), but I'll take a cabin in the woods over a Hawaiian beach any day if my friends are there waiting for me.

So, here's to next year. And the next. And the next. And until then, I have great memories of board games, Rock Band, chicken pesto, hide & seek, bed jumping, bath bubbles, mice catching, superpowers, boo-boo kissing, and amazing conversations to keep me company.

Maggie, Charlotte & Emma jumping away

Emma, Maggie & Charlotte with Chris

Present and future BFFs Emma & Charlotte

Hurlyburly 2 (minus our lead singer extraordinaire) rockin' OUT

The gang just before saying goodbye

No comments: