Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Art of the Joke

Yesterday, I decided to teach Emma the fine art of a good Knock Knock joke. I start by outlining the set-up: I say Knock Knock, she says Who's There, etc. Once she had that down, I let loose with basically the only Knock Knock joke I know:

Me: Knock Knock
Em: Who's there?
Me: Orange.
Em: Orange who?
Me: Orange you glad to see me?

Blank stare. Crickets. No giggle, no smile...not even a smirk. I prepare to explain the joke to her, but she decides she wants to try a joke of her own before I can say a word. I'm excited by her enthusiasm and encourage her to jump right in. And she does.

Em: Knock Knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Lemon
Me: Lemon who?
Em: Seramuna.

Hmmm...what? I tell Emma that I didn't fully understand her punchline and ask her why she said "Seramuna" (approximate spelling, by the way - sounds like the name "Sarah" combined with "moon-a"). She calmly replies, "Because Seramuna is Lemon's last name."

Oh. Of course. Lemon's full name...got it, makes perfect sense. I then realize my failure in explaining one of the most important components of the Knock Knock joke - the play on words. So I patiently tell her how "orange" sounds like "aren't" and therein lies the joke. She seems to get it and says she understands. Then she tries again.

Em: Knock Knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Lemon
Me: Lemon who?
Em: Lemon, would you come back?

I let out an involuntary laugh - her punchline is so unexpected and she tells the joke so earnestly, like she's reciting a just-memorized poem or giving a particularly grueling presentation at show and tell. I tell her Great Job and then proceed to explain why her joke isn't really a JOKE. I start referencing the good old "orange" vs. "aren't" comparison again to illustrate the difference between her joke and mine. She hears me through. Then she points out, "But your joke wasn't funny, and mine was."

Well. Hard to argue with that logic. And the lesson, apparently, is mine.

So I'll leave you with Emma's final Knock Knock of the day.

Em: Knock Knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Lime
Me: Lime who?
Em: Shencky.

You decide if you think it's funny. I personally find it hilarious.

1 comment:

chrismath said...

Hysterical. And absolutely no doubt that this kid thinks like me.