Sunday, March 9, 2008

One at a time, please

We just returned from a quick, blink-and-you-miss-it trip to Indiana this weekend. We were there about 24 hours. It was so nice to see everyone - especially Cadin. Emma and Chris had not yet met him. He is three weeks old now, and although everyone had described him as a Mama's Boy, he couldn't seem to get enough of Uncle Chris - which made Chris feel wonderful since his own child is still playing the bizarre, self-invented I Don't Think I Like You, Daddy game. Cadin also chilled out on the floor by himself for the first time during our visit, a definite sign of genius. In fact, Cara and I both think this clear demonstration of advanced learning indicates his readiness to move on to the next stage...college. Brilliance like that needs to be nurtured, and obviously his superior intelligence level is best challenged at the collegiate level. There's no point bothering with silly trifles in between like high school, kindergarten, or walking.

One thing that became alarmingly apparent in little Sophie while we were there is that she's just not a people-person. She seems to do best when she's one on one with someone. Put her in a room with more than 3 people, and she begins self-destructing with alarming speed. Most of our time in Indiana, I witnessed my normally sweet-natured child scream, cry, fuss, whine, or just generally scowl at everyone - even me! Mommy, her (previously) favorite person in the world! The one who can calm her when all others fail! Suddenly I too was the enemy, as if she'd singled me out as the one to blame for putting her in the horrible situation she currently found herself in - being surrounded by people who adore her. And really, she's right - what was I thinking? How could I be so cruel?

She did give out some grudging, random smiles, but they were few and brief. I left Indiana a bit worried that my daughter had become someone I no longer recognized. But once we stepped back into our apartment, I could physically feel in her body the relaxation, the comfort, the RELIEF she felt at being back home. And my baby - the one I know and love, and the one that apparently others will never meet - came back to me in the time it took for her to gift me with one gorgeous, full-gum smile. Welcome back, Sophie. I shall relish this week we have together, because next week we are on vacation with friends (5 days, 1 cabin, 8 people - Sophie's idea of hell) and you will probably disappear on me again. But at least I know you shall return.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

2 days, 1 cabin, and 7 people back in early February nearly sent me directly to the funny farm. I hope all goes well and I'll be thinking of you. Good Luck!