Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend

We had a nice weekend. After a crazy-busy week of tech, ICT's latest show opened Saturday night to positive audience response and a Jeff Recommendation - whoo-hoo! The show is great, I highly encourage all local blog-readers to check it out. Mostly though, I'm just so glad it's open...it's been a long, long road of hard work and I'm so glad now to put it out in the world.

We also took full advantage of the glorious weather. Em got to ride her bike, I took a jog, we all went for a walk in the park together. It was also a big weekend for connecting with friends. My college roommate Rebecca - or should I say Dr. Bernstein, since that is how she is now professionally known (that also deserves a whoo-hoo!) - visited on Friday while in town for a reunion. I was finally able to meet her husband and son, and found them both utterly charming. It was so wonderful to see her again after so many years, and more wonderful still to discover that even though we are now wives & mothers with so much different in our lives, a large part of both of us remains unchanged from those young girls of 16 years ago who almost killed each other as roommates before becoming lifelong friends. Saturday we went to dinner with our friends Harry and Elizabeth and their adorable 6-month-old son Jasper. And today we met Deb, Scott, Brynn and Jack at Legoland. Here are Em and Brynn posing with a Lego clown, and then Chris and Em mugging with the Lego version of Indiana Jones. Sophie spent most of her time in the stroller, craning her neck to take in each new thing as Emma excitedly bounced from one area to another.
Then tonight, Bonnie & Jayme came over to watch a truly heinous Emmy Award telecast on TV with me. It's always more fun to watch when you have people to make fun of them with, and this particular awards show was definitely ripe for mocking.

My favorite part of the whole weekend though was a quiet moment this afternoon with just Sophie and me. We'd just gotten back from Legoland, and Chris & Em were napping. Sophie, curiously enough, went straight for the Legos once unleashed on the floor and proceeded to engage in some sort of bizarre, moving/throwing ritual with the toy that both fascinated me and cracked me up. I swear I felt like I was witnessing the Sophie version of fetch. It's so amazing to watch her steadily improve her mobility. She just recently learned to go from her stomach to sitting and back again effortlessly, and she still possesses this weird compulsion to turn herself in a circle that has led all of us to dub her "Sit-N-Spin." I took a video to document her funny, 9-month-old movements for later recollection. Enjoy, and revel in her baby brilliance.

1 comment:

anonymous said...

One of my colleagues brought his little boy who is about Sophie's age into the office the other day, and he had the same fascination. I gave him one of those cheap plastic pen-holder cups, and he took great delight in throwing it down on and retrieving it again and again. I think he was into the fantastic noise it made, though, whereas Sophie seems to be a little more serious about the endeavor.