Sunday, April 5, 2009

My heart is broken

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I've been a bit busy, but all is well with us. The weather turned on us again this week, so we've been stuck inside a lot. Here's a video of what passes as entertainment in our homebound world...desperate times and all of that.



Grandma came to visit us this weekend, and both girls were in heaven. However, two straight days of over-stimulation had taken a toll on Emma and by Sunday afternoon she was tuckered out. She took a three hour nap, and we knew it would be difficult to get her back to sleep at bedtime. Fast forward to 8pm, and as predicted, Em wasn't going down without a fight. I wasn't in the room when Chris was tucking her in, but I guess she kept misbehaving until Chris had finally had enough. He turned off the lights and shut the door without giving her goodnight kisses. Of course, she lost her mind...screaming, crying, the whole she-bang. She even started wailing repeatedly, "My arm is broken, my arm is broken." Chris and I shared a glance, perplexed but amused at her newest delay tactic and wondering where in the heck that one was coming from.

I finally went in to play "good cop" and tried calming her down. She was completely distraught and still sobbing about her arm. I told her her arm was just fine, and she indignantly corrected me. "That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying my heart is broken, it's broken into pieces because Daddy has no love for me tonight." And she sounded heartbroken as she said it, letting loose a fresh gush of waterworks while I sat there stunned. I know better than anyone that this child of mine is a really, REALLY good manipulator - I mean, I'm talking professional level here - but despite that knowledge, she still sucked me right in with that one. I tried my best to comfort her, but all she wanted was Daddy.

Apparently she sucked in an eavesdropping Chris too, because not 10 seconds later he appeared in the doorway, ready to make things right between them. I don't know what was said after I left the room, but peace was soon restored.

Both girls adore Chris, but that Emma Bloom...she has some mad, mad love for her Daddy.

No comments: