Monday, April 13, 2009

Shuck Up!

Emma's new saying is "shuts."

As in:
(Me) "No, you cannot write your name in permanent marker on the wall."
(Em) "Awwww, shuts."

Chris and I explained that the word we believe she is looking for is "shucks." However, Miss Emma Bloom will not be dissuaded. There is precedent for this aversion to labeling things accurately. In Emma's world, exclamation points are "bookmarks," coins are "moneys" and starving is "starvelating." Despite numerous corrections, she holds firm to these alternate words/pronunciations because, as she states, "I like the way I say it better."

Simply put: Emma prefers "shuts," and so "shuts" it is.

No big deal, I say. It could be much worse. Em's major fascination lately is with vowel sounds, so I'm just thankful it hasn't occurred to her to substitute an i for the u.

No comments: