Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Emma on a Wednesday

  • Recounts her dream last night about a Daddy lizard and baby lizard (Emma dreams often about lizards). The lizards stuck out their tongues and growled at her and then the house fell down and she had to crawl and chant "ah-ga-ya-ga-ah-ga-ya-ga" to get out safely and then she told the lizards "you think you are scary but you are not that scary" and then she woke up.
  • Carries two spoons around with her all morning, one for "delicate things" and one for "hammering."
  • Debates with me the confusion between Lady and the Tramp's mean rat and Ratatouille's friendly rat. After I explain that not all rats are mean and not all rats are friendly - that it just depends on the rat - Em observes, "Yes, that's true. But there's only one rat that's a fry cook." She then changes the subject, confusion apparently over.
  • Colors a mermaid in her Dora coloring book and then gets so excited b/c she "colored her first tail!"
  • Gets into a wrestling match with her new "baby" - my Mother's Day helium balloon. Balloon sleeps in Emma's room at night and goes with her everywhere during the day. She lays him down for naps, shouting "and I don't want to hear a peep out of you!" as she turns on sound machine and shuts the bedroom door. During the wrestling match, she bites the balloon's ribbon. When I tell her not to bite her baby, she says, "But he likes for me to bite him." She growls at me with the ribbon wedged between her gritted teeth. Then Emma and Balloon lay on the couch together and watch Tarzan 2.
  • Puts a Parents Magazine renewal notice in a plastic bag so she can give it to her Daddy for his birthday "because it's exactly what he asked for." (Sorry to ruin the surprise, Chris.)
  • Performs an interpretive dance recital for Sophie and me that includes a new move - twirling in a circle while raising her foot and slamming it against her knee. She dubs this the Turnaround, something she has "been learning for 20 years ago, and then I twirled and I was 3." She also slaps her legs a lot and explains to me that she "learned to slap at school." The performance is entitled Dance Pottyhead.
  • Comes up to me while I'm gabbing on the phone with my dear friend Laura and asks out of nowhere, "What in the heck are you talking about?"*
*This one technically happened Tuesday night, but it was too cute not to include!

No comments: