Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Moment

This morning after brushing my teeth, I discovered Sophie flat on her back in the living room while Emma held her hand and repeatedly crooned, "It's okay little sweetie, it's okay little lovie, it's okay." Apparently Sophie had fallen and bumped her head while I was in the bathroom, so Emma was trying to make her feel better. I immediately went to Sophie to make sure she was okay, but the expression on her face stopped me dead in my tracks. She wasn't crying, wasn't whimpering, wasn't smiling either - she was just completely, utterly focused on Emma with a look of pure, trusting, unadulterated love.

Their connection was so intimate that I actually felt like an intruder, so I just turned around and left the room. When I checked on them a few minutes later, Em was still holding Sophie's hand and their eyes remained fixed on one another. One of my favorite Em/Sophie moments ever.

No comments: