Monday, October 6, 2008

Sophie gets irritated

Sophie is driving all of us a bit batty lately. After months of solid 12-hour snoozing, she has apparently decided to stop sleeping through the night. I have been up with her anywhere from 1-3 times each evening for the last couple of weeks. And during the day, her neediness is through the roof. She spends the majority of her time following me around from room to room while either whining, crying or screaming (depending on how long I've dared not to hold her). Today she took it to a new level - she would sit on my lap facing me, grab my shirt in both fists and bury her head in my chest, as if she actually wanted to burrow into me, like she'd decided to just hang up her hat, say goodbye to this crazy world, and return to the womb where things make a lot more sense. And it doesn't get much better when Chris is around - tonight she spent most of her time with Daddy searching desperately for me and screaming if she happened to catch a glimpse. It's weird - yes, she's always been a Mama's girl, but this is extreme, even for Sophie. We don't really know why she's acting like this. I've no doubt she has her reasons, and I feel like she's trying SO HARD to tell me, but unfortunately I only know a few words of baby and she has yet to master English, so we are both really frustrated at our mutual inability to communicate.

The only time today she seemed truly happy was when the three of us danced to the Indigo Girls in the living room. I kept twirling Emma in circles, which cracked Sophie up. Except for an accidental head butt between Em and Soph during a particularly aerobic dance section, fun was had by all. But once the dancing stopped, crabby Sophie returned.

I just hope Sophie's behavior is a simple phase of cantankerousness that, much like Republicans in the White House, shall soon go bye bye. B/c I tell ya, Mama is tired.

No comments: