Sunday, November 8, 2009

Master Negotiator

Em: "Mommy, for my sixth birthday, can I have my party at Chuck E. Cheese or Go Bananas or somewhere fun like that where there are lots of fun things to do so my party won't be boring like last year?"

Me: "We'll see. That's a long time away."

Em: "Yes, well, I think it would be good to have the party somewhere fun, and the parents can just relax while the kids play. And you can visit with your friends so it's a party for you too! And you won't be stress-ed about all the food and stuff. And we won't have to clean up!"

Me: "Good point."

Em: "Yes. I will still need a present from you though. I thought about it [reference to MANY previous conversations when I told her if she wants a big party then that will be her only present from us], and I don't think it's fair. It is your job to get me presents. You are the Mommy! So the party will not be my only present. I want to be clear on that. Are we clear on that?"

Me: "Um...no, we are not clear on that. I hear what you are saying, but I do not agree."

Em: "Oh. Well...you know, let's just think about it awhile, okay? That's a long time away. A looooongggg time away. Maybe you will change your mind."

Me: "Don't count on it."

Em: "Why would I count on it? Do you mean with numbers? I don't understand a word you are saying. Just talk to Chuck about it, okay?"

Me: "Chuck? As in 'Chuck E. Cheese'?"

Em: "Yeah."

Me: "I think it's your Dad I should talk to about it, don't you?"

Em: "Oh. Sure. Talk to him too. And then get back to me when you've changed your mind."

No comments: