Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Diorama Papa

Emma's big show at her school is coming up this Friday. You may remember my post last year about how every grade at Em's school dedicates two weeks to studying and creating a show about a special topic. This year, the first graders are focusing on biomes. (Alright, I'll admit it: I had no idea what the word meant. Dude, don't judge me...I'm an artist, not a scientist, okay?) There are seven first grade classes, and each has been assigned a different environment to research. Emma's class is studying lakes, and part of her assignment was to create a lake diorama that exhibits the many forms of animal and plant life. That's when Daddy enters, b/c as you regular readers know, he excels at helping with these creative school projects. (Wow, it's like link-apalooza today!)

So they spent the entire weekend putting together their lake diorama. Here they are, hard at work transforming their little shoebox into Lake Michigan.
 
 Um...notice how Chris is sorta doing the work, and Em is sorta watching/assisting? Still a team effort, but I suspect the roles are supposed to be flip-flopped and my husband just didn't get the memo.

And without further adieu...ta da! The fruit of their labors!
I know, I know...I can't wait for summer, either. Winter: go away.

Truly, the photo doesn't do it justice. Ms. Cooper told Emma it was the best diorama she'd ever seen, and OF COURSE she would never lie to boost a kid's ego, right?

You'll have to wait a few days for video of Emma singing about the Great Lakes to the tune of Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane." Oh yeah...NOW I've got your attention.

1 comment:

Grandma Kitty said...

What a BE-U-TI-FUL creation! It's the best diorama I have ever seen. Of course I'm not a DE (that's diorama expert) and I haven't seen many ... they are very popular in Mexican/Hispanic cultures... but I digress ...

Chris learned well ... mom 'helped' with some of special projects. And was I ever angry if he got a grade less than an A.